Saturday, December 20, 2008

Christmas Fun #1

By drpeugh:

Untitled

It was practically Christmas and try as I might

I couldn’t come up with the right words to write.


My thoughts were too scattered, my mind was all jumbled.

I sat at my desk and I groaned and I grumbled.


The children were sleeping. I couldn’t blame them

For the fact I was functioning at the brain stem.


My wife in the kitchen with last minute wrapping.

My fingers were still but my toes were a tapping.


“Turn down that music!” I snapped from my study.

Then instantly felt like an old fuddie-duddie.


She turned down the sound without saying a word.

I typed four small words. They were “I am a turd.”


I backed up the cursor and stared at the screen.

It was white as the snow. It was blank. It was clean.


“Where’s the muse?” I demanded. “T’was here yesterday.”

“Take a break,” said my wife. “What you need is some play.”


To the kitchen I followed her, somewhat suspicious.

But the smells that I found there were simply delicious.


We made tons of cookies and gingerbread too.

We were covered in sweetness before we were through.


And the day after Christmas I could hardly believe

That my writing was sharper for that small reprieve.


I completed my novel, beginning to end.

It’s off to my agent. I just need to hit send.

1 comment:

  1. Hehehe. Nice. Don't we all know the feeling of staring at that big, blank, endless void of white nothingness.

    And most often, a good break will help clear your thoughts and get your creative juices flowing again.

    ReplyDelete