Monday, June 21, 2010

25-Word Critique Round

It's been a while, so let's do another one!

At 5:00 PM EASTERN TODAY, submissions will open for the following:

*The first 25 words of your manuscript, completed or in progress*

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES:
  • Send your submission to authoress.submissions(at)gmail.com. YOUR SUBMISSION WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AT ANY OTHER ADDRESS.
  • Format your submission as follows (EXACTLY):
SCREEN NAME: type it here
TITLE: type it here
GENRE: type it here

Type your 25 words here
  • Submissions will remain open until midnight or 50 entries have been reached, whichever comes first.
  • There will be 2 alternates assigned; if you receive an alternate number, please understand that your entry will only be included if one of the 50 is disqualified.
  • ALL GENRES EXCEPT EROTICA are invited. PICTURE BOOKS ARE INCLUDED!
  • And please -- PLEASE -- don't stop in the middle of a sentence. I admit I'm baffled at how often this happens. NEVER do this, and especially when you're submitting to an agent!
If I've forgotten something, please let me know! The entries will post on Tuesday morning beginning at 10:00 Eastern.

12 comments:

  1. May we enter more than once? (In separate emails, of course)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope. :) 1 entry per person. These contests often fill up very quickly, so it wouldn't be fair for someone to take 2 spots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for running a Monday contest. It's a nice way to get the blood pumping at the beginning of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You didn't mention what to put in the subject line. I just used, "25 Words Submission."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doesn't matter what's in the subject line, as long as there's not an "RE:" included. It won't accept that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep getting rejected. My submission is 28 words (I didn't want to cut off the sentence).

    It said I posted 56 words, but everything was a total of 36. (no signature)

    I was wondering why?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Send it again in PLAIN TEXT. The bot is reading gobblety-gook in your rich text and counting it as characters (word does WEIRD stuff). Sending it in plain text should take care of the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks that worked. I didn't know gmail used rich formatting. I'm turning in my geek pin now...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This became a lesson in futility as my last correction sent in plain text with an excerpt of exactly 25 words ended in a rejection. My logline was 2023.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got disqualified because I was told that I had too many words, but there was only 34 as I didn't want to end in the middle of a sentence. My screen name was Ann

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ann,

    Next time you have trouble, please email me directly! You will always be disqualified if you go over word count. This time I set it at 28 to allow for completing sentences. I'm sorry you didn't get in this time!

    ReplyDelete