Friday, May 3, 2013

Friday Fricassee

Happy First Friday of May!

I think my WIP is sucking all the words out of my brain, because I seem to be running out of them in other areas.

On my Real Me Facebook page, I have a reputation for being fairly chatty throughout the day.  In fact, I've had people tell me how much they look forward to my statuses, and how I make them laugh or smile or whatever I make them do.

I like that!

But yesterday evening, one of my friends posted the following on my wall:

Where are you?! It's not an evening FB session without you!

Well, oops.  Am I THAT ensconced by the World of Facebook?  Do I have THAT much trouble shutting up?

Oy.

Thing is, for me, Facebook is a connection point.  Not a place to play mindless games or poke people or see how many friends I can get.  No, it's a place where I connect with people from all corners of my life--local friends, college friends, neighbors who have moved across the country, professional colleages, and people I thought I'd never, never be connected to again.

It means a lot to me.  In fact, I have trouble explaining to my darling husband, who likes to sneer and call me "addicted", how much this connection factor means to me.

I care about these people.  And I'm a WORDS PERSON.  Which means that I best express my heart through the written word.  I most easily give and receive affirmation and affection this way.  So Facebook lights up my heart like the birth of a new star.

Really.

Naturally, this blog community works the same way for me.  I don't know the vast majority of you personally, but connecting with you means something to me.  And, being a Words Person, I thrive in this environment.

Now, we've already established that there are lots of introverts among us.  There's always the danger, for those who shy away from face-to-face connections, that words-on-a-screen are nothing more than a veil to hide behind.  An excuse to stay in one's cozy (dark?) little corner and nod occasionally at the world.

That's the "bad side" of online life.  But I prefer to revel in the "good side"; the connections that wouldn't be possible without the internet.  The hearts I can touch with my words--and whose words can touch me--in ways that are life-giving and joy-inducing.

And when I "run out of words," I feel a bit off-kilter.  Fortunately, writing this blog post has made me feel a little better.  Now if I can only think of something to say on Facebook!  *wink*

What about you?  How does the internet help you to connect in a positive way?  Share!  And have a blessed weekend.


7 comments:

  1. Ah yes, social media - the introvert's best friend. I too feel much more connected through facebook to people I would never otherwise have any contact with. I found old friends and rediscovered why we were friends in the first place.

    But it is also addictive, there's no doubt about that. There's plenty of moments when thinking or writing is too difficult, I will turn to facebook or twitter and spend a half hour not writing. Also not thinking and not really going forward in my work.

    But I would be very lonely without it.

    And how was ballet this morning ;-)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of want to quote this entire post in my next status update and just add a great big "Ditto" to the end. I am so much, exactly this.

    And the thing is, before Facebook, it's not like I was good at the face-to-face thing. It's not like online connections have REPLACED in person ones. They've been added to a life that had too little connection in it in the first place. I'm a words person too, and facebook, blogging, all that . . . they give me a place to fill with those words. They make my world brighter in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's a great big "thumbs-up" to LIKE this page.

    I agree! It's been awesome to use Facebook to reconnect with friends from different times and places in my life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. People I've "met" through the internet have changed me in ways I never would have imagined. I can't begin to express how much better my writing is because of sites like the online writers workshop, absolute write, and - it goes without saying - this blog.

    When my youngest daughter was diagnosed with a really rare heart defect a few months before she was born, I found an online group of families who'd been there/done that. I don't know how I would have made it without them. Some of them live in Australia and South Africa, so I may never get the opportunity to meet them in real life. But in many ways I know them better than people I see every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. I love to check Twitter and FB and update my webpages when I can including my fan FB page. I have connected with so many writers and readers that I wouldn't have been able to connect with otherwise. Are they addictive? Yep. The trick is to donate short bursts of time to them and then get back to writing as soon as you can. Oh, I forgot Pinterest. Now that one is like a black hole for me. I get sucked in and sometimes am lost for hours on there. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the web sucks a lot of time out of writing for sure and it gives the comfort of feeling connected. I guess the happiest part of being here and reading all the wonderful entries is that it is nice to find a place for female YA writers to come together and empower ourselves. I am glad that there is a tiny male presence and hopefully they will get the hint that this blog is for us gals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh that's me on Facebook! I admittedly get a little . . . ranty about things I am very passionate about (feminism, ending rape culture, LBGT rights, etc). Some people don't enjoy it and they defriend me, which is completely fine. But I've had others send me private messages, comment when I'm not around, etc about how much they enjoy the dialogue and that it means something to them. It makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete