Remember that, in addition to everything else you'd normally critique, we're looking for comments on VOICE. Things to think about:
- Is the voice (particularly the main character) believable for the age? Or does it sound a little too old or a little too young? (In other words, if the protagonist is 12, does he sound like a believable 12-year-old?)
- Are their instances where the author's "grown-up voice" is showing? (Turns of phrase, word choice, a perspective that is too adult, etc.)
General guidelines for critique on MSFV:
- Please leave your critique for each entry in the comment box for that entry.
- Please choose a screen name to sign your comments. The screen name DOES NOT have to be your real name; however, it needs to be an identifiable name. ("Anonymous" is not a name.)
- Critiques should be honest but kind, helpful but sensitive.
- Critiques that attack the writer or are couched in unkind words will be deleted.*
- Cheerleading IS NOT THE SAME as critiquing. Please don't cheerlead.
- Having said that, it is perfectly acceptable to say positive things about an entry that you feel is strong. To make these positive comments more helpful, say why it's a strong entry.
- ENTRANTS: As your way of "giving back", please critique a minimum of 4 other entries.
*I can't possibly read every comment. If you ever see a comment that is truly snarky, please email me. I count on your help.