Monday, August 20, 2012

Secret Agent Unveiled: Paige Wheeler


Huge thanks to this month's Secret Agent, the thorough and insightful Paige Wheeler of Folio Literary Management!

Paige's Bio:

As a founding partner of Folio Literary Management, LLC., Paige Wheeler has artfully merged her creativity and business savvy to create an agency that is dedicated to maximizing author potential. Prior to forming Folio in 2006, Paige founded Creative Media Agency (CMA) in 1997 and served as its President for nine years. With an entrepreneurial spirit ignited by the thrill of discovery, Paige ventured to support her clients and their unique voices in an unprecedented way. Through Folio she is now able to provide the ability to manage intellectual property rights of authors by selling both domestic and foreign rights, co-agenting film and audio rights, as well as offering the services of a speakers bureau and licensing agency.

What Paige is looking for:

"I’m looking to represent a broad range of projects. In particular, I’ve been reading upscale commercial fiction and nonfiction books that tell a unique story or ones in which the author has a huge platform. I seem to be especially drawn to a story if it has a high concept and a fresh, unique voice. Fiction: All commercial fiction and Upscale (think book club) fiction, as well as women’s fiction, romance (all types), mystery, thrillers, inspirational/Christian and psychological suspense. I enjoy both historical fiction as well as contemporary fiction, so do keep that in mind. Nonfiction: I’m looking for both narrative nonfiction and prescriptive nonfiction. I’m looking for books where the author has a huge platform and something new to say in a particular area. Some of the areas that I like are lifestyle, relationship, parenting, business/entrepreneurship, food-subsistence-homesteading topics, popular/trendy reference projects and women’s issues. I’d like books that would be a good fit on the Today show."

Hooray for another wonderful round of critique! Winners forthcoming.

20 comments:

  1. Reading her comments on each of the entries endeared me to this month's SA. I can't wait to finish my WIP and query this wonderful agent.

    Thanks, Paige and Authoress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The critiques are such a wonderful way to get feedback. Thanks to everyone who posted comments on my entry. Going to take your suggestions and make some changes. Good luck to all :)

    Thank you Authoress, Paige and fellow aspiring writers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! Great experience and also very helpful to see the comments on other entries.

    Thanks Authoress and Paige for making this happen - and good luck to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a great experience! I found her comments very helpful and it was interesting to see what she said on other's works as well.

    Thanks Authoress and Paige for giving us this opportunity! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE Paige, but I keep missing her submission windows. Her comments were spot on and I'd love to work with her someday. Good luck to everyone, and thank you Paige and Authoress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to Paige for giving such excellent critiques of the entries. I learned a lot this month!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Authoress and Paige! And to all the people who left critiques!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, all, for submitting! What a great group of entries!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for hosting this wonderful event, Authoress!

    This is the first one I've had a manuscript ready for, and it was a lot of fun! I loved reading the critiques, not just for my own, but on everyone else's as well--helps to see what people were picking up on, and was a nice cross-genre taste. Will everyone get feedback on their 250 words from the secret agent, as well, or only those winners named today?

    Congrats, everyone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cera -- The Secret Agent has already left feedback on all the entries.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh! :) It's not loading for mine for some reason, but perhaps it'll refresh later today. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cera, what is your entry number? It might be that Blogger has eaten her comment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 28...bad Blogger! No comment eating allowed. Thank you for taking a peek--sorry to be trouble for my first one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. #28's the only one that didn't receive a comment from Paige. I bet it was eaten.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you to everyone for taking time to critique my entry! And a special thanks to Ms. Authoress for hosting and to our wonderful Secret Agent, who was ever so nice! It was a fun and educational experience. I always learn a lot from these contests, whether I'm in them or not.

    For those that didn't understand the "green face", you turn green when seasick. Or hungover or just plain nauseous. On cartoons, the character's face will turn bright green when depicting sea/motion sickness, but in real life, it's more of a greenish-grey. An example would be my darling niece who is barfing her way through her second pregnancy. Set a plate of greasy fries in front of her and watch her turn 50 Shades of Green.

    You can also be green with envy, but that's a different green and a different context. And you don't really turn green. But when you're hanging over the side of a ship woofing your cookies into the rolling ocean waves, you are really and truly GREEN!

    Thank you once again! And back to the drawing board! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was fun! Thanks for the terrific submissions and the opportunity to read your material. There was fabulous feedback from a lot of individuals--I was impressed with the commentary.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for sharing your time with the community here, Paige!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Reading others critiques is a marvelous way to learn how to write better. Thanks Authoress and Paige for hosting this contest. Now, I am off to read one final go-over and send in my entry.
    Best wished for everyone else:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This month's contest was very inspiring for me. Thank you to Authoress, the uber-hostess with the mostest.

    It was refreshing to hear comments from my peers (other adult fiction writers). And amazingly kind words from all, too.

    So many times when I have entered a contest in the past, I've received comments such as, "This isn't really my genre, but..."

    Sometimes, other genre writers cannot relate to women's fiction. Thank you to all who can relate (be you adult fiction or otherwise).

    Now I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you Authoress for another great Secret Agent contest. And another thanks to Paige Wheeler for her spot on critiques. I learned a lot in this round.

    Curious....any idea when Paige will be open for queries again? Since I wasn't able to participate in this month's contest (I was in the March contest http://misssnarksfirstvictim.blogspot.com/2012/03/march-secret-agent-47.html) I'm interested in pitching her.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete