Friday, January 16, 2015

Friday Fricassee

Sometimes, in order to be able to continue moving forward, we have to look backward.

Not in the sort of over-your-shoulder, counting-the-regrets sense, but rather in a "look how far I've come" sense.  And there's a big difference between the two.

When the journey is long and the outcome is ultimately not in our hands, it's easy to get stuck in the sameness of This Isn't Moving.  That, of course, can affect our creativity, our attitude, and even our self-perception.  Let's face it--working hard for many years without a tangible reward can often feel like idiocy at its finest.

And nobody wants to be an idiot.

So I sometimes make myself look back at my journey.  I still remember--vividly--the night I changed my mind about never being able to write a novel.  (My self-published book is a collection of anecdotal essays, so I had dubbed myself an "essayist" and claimed I could never write a novel.)  I was reading a book with such an insipid, passive protagonist that I found myself thinking, "I could write a better story than this."  So the next day, I started.

Just like that.

Of course, that First Novel sucked (like they all do).

Here is proof of the suckage:

The pantry opened on the right into a large kitchen, which sat directly behind the King’s Hall. Several cooks and servants were cowering there, hearing the frightening sounds from within the hall and not knowing what to do. As Nestar entered the kitchen, dressed as he was in chain mail and the Crest of Delthe, the servants cowered further. It dawned on Nestar that his Delthian armor afforded him a high rank in Nelgareth’s mounted army, and this fact might aid in his escape from the castle.

“What is the way out?” Nestar demanded.

“Through the courtyard to the stables, sir,” answered a rather stout woman, and she pointed a tremulous finger toward a door that was situated between the two large, stone ovens on either side of the outside wall.

“Get out quickly,” Nestar said breathlessly, as he ran, sword still drawn, toward the door. “There is great evil here.” In the doorway, he turned to face the frightened servants with real tenderness in his heart. “Your king is dead,” he said. “Save your lives while you can.”

(Now you know how much I love you, right?  I wouldn't share that schlock with just anyone!)

Anyway.  That was 2006.  NINE YEARS AGO.  That's a lot of waves on the shore, yes?  And my writing has become something I feel good about.  Something about which I can say with certainty, that, yes, I do write well.  Well enough, in fact, that an editor who read my most recent submission (and who, I think, would have liked to buy it, but her house wasn't behind it), wrote the following in her rejection letter:

I think Em's voice, as well as the character development, make this a stand-out in the genre--I particularly liked the inclusion of Kess's character, and (Authoress) does a masterful job balancing these literary elements with lots of action (and TWISTS!).

I've got the above quote printed out and hanging on the small bulletin board above my desk.  On really hard days, I can't look at it, because it feels too meaningless (as in, WHO CARES WHAT SHE THOUGHT; NOTHING GOOD EVER HAPPENS!), but on most days, I read it and think, "Yes. I can do this writing thing.  I'm going to KEEP DOING this writing thing."

So, when you hit a rut, and you feel like you've been doing this writing thing forever, look back.  Read your first, wobbly scribblings.  Recall the highlights (your first request for a full manuscript; the first time you made a critique partner cry; the day you signed with your agent).  Then, after you've regained your perspective, LOOK FORWARD AGAIN.  Because that's the direction we've all got to face if we're going to meet the finish line.

Okay, then!  Have a fabulous weekend, and thanks for sharing this journey!

24 comments:

  1. Fantastic post! I've been in a stagnant phase since the beginning of December and really needed this. Certainly not there yet, but I've come a LONG way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I remember that beginning from a contest!

    We all have that one review that we print out and pin on our board (or put under our pillows) to keep us going. Sometimes it works.

    I haven't written anything new in almost two years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reworking a story I wrote as a POV study and some of my old scenes are hilarious. The good thing about taking notes by hand is that there is no risk of anyone outside my house reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first novel will never, ever, EVER see the light of day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank for this! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's not so bad. ^_^
    I feel exactly like this right now. I've been querying about 8 years now, and I'm tired, but it's true that I can look back and see there has been progress. It definitely helps to reflect sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Post! Truly soul baring. I have to admit I'm still snickering over Nester (what a name!) but I'm also cheering over the words of praise. Awesome praise. I have soooo been in both of those places and I really needed encouragement today, so thanks for sharing.

    p.s.Why did I think your first novel was about a vintners in the wine country?

    ReplyDelete
  8. sbjames -- Because the opening page (that I posted on Miss Snark's for critique) took place in a vineyard! (My, you HAVE been around for a while -- LOL!) Nestar's dad is a vintner.

    I think I'll just crawl into the drawer with this novel now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you. You have just been very inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, I don't think your past writing sample is bad! Definitely nothing to snicker at. Though I'm sure you're writing as improved with time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel so encouraged :) I need to look back too. I've gotten so much better at my craft. What is there to complain about?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you're right. I've been writing for years, and while I don't have anything published -- nothing's ever really even been submitted! -- I can remember that I need to keep moving forward, while looking back.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good for you, dear daughter, such great advice!! You will be published one day soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes it's me!!! I loved your comments!! You are a great inspiration to other writers!!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes Authoress, you are. You've pointed me toward Save the Cat and the best outlining advice I've ever gotten. You've shown me what a logline should be. And I've met my best critique partner through your blog! As for the secrets to success, from what I can see they appear to be: dedication to the point of narcissism (as in your writing takes precedence over most other things), a willingness to learn, improve, and be unique, and be a nice person (really, this actually really counts. If you're nice, people want to help you). I don't know about the first bullet point, but I think you have the second and third down pat.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for this, Authoress! It's so easy to forget how far we've come.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I actually wanted to read more of your story, and find out what was going to happen next. And...yes I did click on your mom's blog hoping to discover your identity. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Of course you did. :) Which is why I made sure there wasn't any info on her Blogger page. (Also, she doesn't have a blog.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness I remembered to just call you "dear daughter"!!! XO

      Delete
    2. I had a feeling it would be blank, but I had to try anyhow. ;-)

      Delete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Keep up the wonderful work , I read few articles on this website and I conceive that your blog is really interesting and has got bands of great info .
    http://writing-essay24.com/

    ReplyDelete