Reading slush with a (talented, sharp-eyed, dry-witted, experienced) friend is proving to be angst-free and...dare I say it?...fun! I honestly couldn't do this without Jodi Meadows. Please send her organic chocolate and high-end ferret treats.
Things you need to know:
- All entries will receive an email from me (not the bot), whether your submission was rejected or accepted. Please bear with me, and remember that I promised you'd hear within a week (and not a day).
- If yours is one of the winning entries, you will also receive a post number.
- Jodi and I have decided to raise the total entries in the MG/YA round to 100 (up from 80). That means 50 entries accepted in each window. We will still be choosing only 25 for the auction.
- While we have certainly focused on loglines for the past few weeks, Jodi and I are finding that, in the end, strong writing trumps all. Also, a strong logline doesn't always lead to a strong opening page. So in slogging through, we're finding we need to strike a balance and decide if there's an ultimate, overall "hook" in each entry. Challenging! But yeah, fun.
- I've always admired agents who keep up with their slush piles. Admiration has morphed to awe. Just saying.