Tuesday, January 21, 2014

New Critique Round: The First Two (Adult Fiction)

So let's jump into some group critique!  Having done quite a number of 3-page edits for clients, I'm starting to see patterns of what makes a opening work--or not.  At some point, I'm going to address some of these issues in a blog post--or perhaps separate blog posts.  But I would like to also offer some in-house critique rounds to focus on openings.

750 words is a bit dense for a blog entry, so I'm setting these at 2 pages instead of 3.  Here are the details:

  • This round is for ADULT FICTION, all genres except erotica and erotic romance.
  • Submission window:  5:00 to 7:00 PM EST today (Tuesday)
  • This will be a lottery. The bot will choose 15 entries from the pool.
  • Please submit the first 500 words of your manuscript, completed or in progress.
  • Please proofread before submitting!
  • PLEASE SUBMIT HERE.
  • The 15 entries will post tomorrow for critique.
Post your questions below!  We will do YA and MG rounds in the near future.

10 comments:

  1. Does New Adult count as adult or is that going to be a separate category? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Authoress - for some reason it's not pasting when I copy and paste the first 500 words into the submission window. Any thoughts or ideas, because typing them all out would be a real pain. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry -- I have no idea! Are you pasting it from plain text? The only thing I can think of is that you're pasting it from rich text and it's got some invisible character(s) that are making the font invisible. (Could even be that the font is the same color as the background.)

    Try swiping it from a plain text version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm afraid I'm having the same problem with the text not pasting; it happened last time as well, but it had never happened before that...

    Saving it in plain text is making no difference. Any other ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Try opening it in a different browser. That's all I can think of...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just tried it and it pasted fine for me...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing I tried worked for me, so I typed it all in and sent. I proofread it, but hopefully there aren't any/too many typos haha. Couldn't figure out how to make em-dashes...oh, well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I switched over to Firefox and it worked. Computers are so darn mysterious...

    Sorry that you had to type yours, Chris -- I'm sure that was a pain! :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, it was OK. I'm just happy I was able to submit. Glad you were able to submit, too, L.C. Technology can be weeiiiird.

    ReplyDelete