Thursday, September 1, 2016

Name That Genre #11

TITLE: SECRET
GENRE: YA SECRET

             They came for him in the night. It wasn’t the first time, and it wouldn’t be the last. And although he pretended to remember none of what they had done to him, he always did. Every needle. Every suture. All of it.

             “You again.” The surgeon looked Ben up and down, clicking his tongue impatiently. “Do you know how many goddamn problems you’re causing me?”

             Ben raised his head lazily, the drug they’d injected him with clouding his eyes and mind. “I’m not meaning to,” he mumbled. His words were slurred.

             The surgeon clenched his hands into fists and punched a button on the wall of the operating theater. The chair they’d strapped Ben into tilted backwards until he was lying flat, staring at the shiny silver ceiling. The familiar click of machinery sounded behind him and he winced, knowing what was coming.

             It’d work, for a day or two. Sometimes less.

13 comments:

  1. SCI-FI

    Ohhhh this is cool. I love your chilling opener. Unnamed agency/sciency type team, plus injections and cures made me think sci-fi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sci-fi

    It was heading there with the MC sorta nonchalance about what was happening, but the last line pushed it there for me. I really like this opener!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SCI-FI
    At first I though alien abduction, but then it seems like some kind of human experimentation. The last line is so intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sci-Fi! The experimentation and Ben's casual attitude towards it cemented it for me. Also maybe a little dystopian-y?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sci-Fi

    It sounds like he's been used as an experiment. And there's the operating theater (which made me think 19th century, Dr Jekkle, Mr. Hyde, but the shiny silver ceiling made me think futuristic.


    ReplyDelete
  6. Science Fiction. Sutures, needles, a shiny silver ceiling! I already loathe the surgeon. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sci-fi. Love it. Thank you. For your brilliance.

    ReplyDelete