Thursday, September 1, 2016

Name That Genre #31

TITLE: Secret
GENRE: MG Secret

I saw Death during the half-time show.

While I blasted the same series of half notes on my trombone over and over, I got my first real view of the thing that's been haunting me since I turned six.

It was as tall as my dad, but too skinny to be human. Solid black fog in constant motion. A glossy black oval face with no features was tucked within a heavily hooded swirling cloak, but I swear, it stared straight at me.

Nobody else noticed.

The monster hovered on the stairs next to Ms. Schmidt and an older gentleman wearing a black bowler hat. Odd, I’d never seen her at a football game before. As far as I knew, Ms. Schmidt didn't have any children or grandchildren.

The band exited the field and Mr. Washington released us for our Third Quarter break. I dashed to where Death had been, but it had vanished.

20 comments:

  1. Paranormal

    With monsters in the real world, I'm guessing it's out of the ordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paranormal. Seeing 'death' and saying it's been haunting you for a long time, seems to indicate paranormal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Urban Paranormal.

    Death as a character, but in a modern setting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Urban Fantasy/Paranormal

    Death in a modern setting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantasy.

    Death makes an appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. paranormal because Death personified

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantasy/contemporary

    Death is there in the flesh (maybe ethereal flesh) and perhaps he'll have some kind of quest for the MC to perform. I'm not going with paranormal because it doesn't have an eerie vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. paranormal
    death, and it vanished

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paranormal
    Well, unless it's normal to see Death. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Paranormal
    Well, unless it's normal to see Death. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. CONTEMPORARY FANTASY

    The setting definitely sounds contemporary, but then seeing Death definitely sounds like a fantasy element. There's also a hint that one of the adults may have some related secrets.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantasy

    Death does not normally appear to others =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Paranormal. The appearance of death, who no one else can see.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Contemporary Fantasy.
    Clearly a contemporary real world setting. Death personified that no one sees but the MC = Fantasy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantasy, since the main character is seeing Death.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the guesses! This is an excerpt from my Upper Middle Grade novel Pendulum Arcanum

    ReplyDelete