Thursday, September 1, 2016

Name That Genre #32

TITLE: Secret
GENRE: YA Secret

     The last sounds died away as the doors thudded shut. I glanced down the unfamiliar school hallway, my pulse racing. Loser, the voices whispered. My head spun as I shuffled along the tiled floor, my legs wobbling with each step. I needed to do this. Quickly. I slipped a hand inside my jeans pocket and pushed open the girls’ bathroom door with the other. My heart stopped.

   Two girls leaned over the sinks. “Shouldn’t you be in class?” asked one of the girls, touching up her mascara. Petite, with long white-blonde hair, and dressed in a tank top and micro-mini, she turned, looking me up and down. “You must be new here.” She screwed up her face. “Geesh, how tall are you, like, six feet?”

    I froze, clutching the penknife in my pocket, and glanced away. Just leave me alone.
    “C’mon, Jess, let’s go,” said the girl’s friend, smacking her freshly glossed lips together.

18 comments:

  1. Contemporary

    With the girl's bathroom it appears we'll be looking at some modern day issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Contemporary
    The tone so far suggests an ordinary world scenario. I really wonder what she's going to do in the bathroom with the penknife.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paranormal. Because of the voices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Contemporary, because of the ordinary setting

    ReplyDelete
  5. Contemporary. Issue perhaps bullying?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Contemporary issue book - cutting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Contemporary

    She may have a mental disorder making her hear voices and need to do something--this may end up being a fantasy. But can't tell that right now. The fact that she thought for the girls to leave her alone and they left the bathroom is what making me think it might end up as UF.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Can't Tell. The setting says Contemporary, but the darkness, hearing voices, etc. could be Paranormal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Contemporary/problem novel.

    Sounds like she's being bullied and may be considering suicide.

    ReplyDelete
  10. contemporary
    troubled teen, high school, bullying

    ReplyDelete
  11. Contemporary/ Horror because of the penknife and hearing voices is sanity?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Contemporary -- Issue
    cutting, misfit, bullying

    ReplyDelete
  13. CONTEMPORARY

    Setting seems like a general contemporary highschool.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Contemporary

    World building suggest it's a school in modern times

    ReplyDelete
  15. Contemporary. New school, troubled girl, loser, other girl's in washroom seem current.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Contemporary. Seems like a realistic, modern setting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello: This one is mine. It is contemporary. The voices are a sign of the mental illness my mc suffers from. Thanks so much for the comments!

    ReplyDelete