Monday, August 20, 2018

Talkin' Heads #15

TITLE: Invisible Me
GENRE: YA Science Fiction

(no lead-in provided)

“I wonder who that is.” Mom washed her hands and dried them on her apron as she headed to the door. “Oh.” She sounded confused. “Hello, officer.”
Officer? My stomach tightened and I slid off the barstool.
“Are you Mrs. Roberts?” a male voice said.
My eyes widened. Didn’t I know that voice?
“Yes.”
“And is that your Volvo?”
I definitely knew that voice. What was he doing here?
“Yes, it’s the one my daughter uses for school. Why?”
“Was she driving it recently?”
“She only got home a few minutes ago. What’s this all about?”
“Well, Mrs. Roberts.” He drew in a breath. “The station received several complaints of that car in town, apparently driverless.”
What? But the raincoat. I was so careful.
I felt the top of my head. It was hot. Of course. I was sweating during that intense drive.
The sweat from my head must’ve gotten to the hood. What a fool I was. I pressed my hand against my throbbing chest.
Mom snorted. “You’re joking, right?”
“I’m afraid not, ma’am.”
“There must be some mistake. That’s impossible.”
“Whatever the case, I’d like to speak with your daughter.”
“Okay.” She sounded skeptical. “Let me get her for you. Ana.”
What do I do? He can’t see me. I tried to flatten my messy hair. But he literally can’t see me. I bolted up the back staircase just before Mom reached the kitchen.
“Ana?”
I crept along the upstairs hallway and struggled to slow my breathing. I was about to press my sweaty palms against the wall behind me but stopped myself. It wouldn’t help matters if I made part of the house disappear.

7 comments:

  1. While I found the ending great (making part of the house disappear hooks me in) I was confused by the daughter's predicament. That said, the mom's and officer's voices were s a bit stiff and formal. "She only got home a few minutes ago" could be "Yeah, she just got home" or "Yes, she got home a few minutes ago." The 'oh' in the first sentence also struck me as something that I do -- it sounds natural on the page, but if I read it back outloud it doesn't work. The scene builds tension so moves things along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun story line, though the snorted and skeptical tags didn't work for me. I'd rather see what they do when they are surprised or questioning...but I know we only had a few lines to present here). I'd shorten some of the dialogue snippets from the mother as suggested above. The formality of the cop work for me. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the premise of this story. Some of the dialog doesn't work for me. I would change 'complaints of' to 'calls about' and in "Let me get her for you. Ana." I would take out 'Ana', I assume she's shouting for her, but it doesn't read that way. She calls for her later on anyway. The mom's dialog sounds a little stilted, but otherwise ended well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my opinion the descriptors and internal dialogue work better than the external dialogue between the officer and the mom. This is a very intriguing plot because I was definitely hooked by the last line, but I thought the conversation between the mom and officer seems too distant from the POV. Sure, we're not in their heads, but the use of dialogue can reveal a lot about character's feelings and motives. Don't just have each relay answers, but really take a look at the mom's relationship with Ana and the officer's motives for reporting the suspicious activity. Great work just needs some fine tuning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you've got a good balance between dialogue and internal thought here.

    One nitpick (sorry, this is a pet peeve of mine): she can't seem him "draw in a breath". She might be able to see him take a deep breath or gasp for breath (if she was close by which I'm not sure she is), but there's no way she can see him take a regular breath.

    Good luck!
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  6. How well are you prepared for a cyber incident or breach? Is your data safe?.
    Strengthen your cybersecurity stance by contacting CLASSIC CYBER NOTCH @ GMAIL DOT COM for a Perfect, Unique, Classic and Professional Job in securing your Network against Breaches of All Sort and also we do virtually All kind of Cyber Jobs, be it Cyber Security or Hijacking without trace and with utmost Professionalism and Confidentiality.

    We offer services such as :
    Private investigators service
    Phone /Computer hack
    Clearing criminal record
    Binary options recovery
    Bit coin mining
    Increase Credit score
    Issue Blank ATM
    Spyware installation
    Social media platform hack
    E-mail hack
    and many more....
    Our Success Rate is Top Notch

    Contact us today @
    Classic cyber notch @ gmail dot com
    to get the Best professional hands involved in putting a smile on your face.

    Signed
    Collins .A

    ReplyDelete
  7. INSTEAD OF GETTING A LOAN,, I GOT SOMETHING NEW
    Get $5,500 USD every day, for six months!

    See how it works
    Do you know you can hack into any ATM machine with a hacked ATM card??
    Make up you mind before applying, straight deal...

    Order for a blank ATM card now and get millions within a week!: contact us
    via email address::{Automatictellers@gmail.com}

    We have specially programmed ATM cards that can be use to hack ATM
    machines, the ATM cards can be used to withdraw at the ATM or swipe, at
    stores and POS. We sell this cards to all our customers and interested
    buyers worldwide, the card has a daily withdrawal limit of $5,500 on ATM
    and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores depending on the kind of card
    you order for:: and also if you are in need of any other cyber hack
    services, we are here for you anytime any day.

    Here is our price lists for the ATM CARDS:

    Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $200 USD
    Cards that withdraw $10,000 per day costs $850 USD
    Cards that withdraw $35,000 per day costs $2,200 USD
    Cards that withdraw $50,000 per day costs $5,500 USD
    Cards that withdraw $100,000 per day costs $8,500 USD

    make up your mind before applying, straight deal!!!

    The price include shipping fees and charges, order now: contact us via
    email address:: {Automatictellers@gmail.com}

    Visit our Website for more Info: automatictellers.wordpress.com
    ®

    ReplyDelete