Let's mix things up a bit!
Worldbuilding is a beautiful and difficult thing. In order to create a solid, believable setting for our stories, we need to do our due diligence before we begin weaving the tale. And once we bring those words to the paper, they must be infused with the world we've created, so that our readers are drawn in and stay in our stories--right from the opening pages.
So I've created this contest as a way for you to take the pulse of your worldbuilding. Here's the challenge:
WILL YOUR READERS KNOW WHAT YOUR GENRE IS IN THE FIRST 150 WORDS OF YOUR STORY?
Think about it. Settings can be created with the most subtle touch. A mention of 3 moons in the night sky screams science fiction. A woman spilling coffee on her blouse while waiting to meet the handsome new lawyer in the firm strongly suggests women's fiction. Pa coming in from the fields because it's begun to hail hints that we're probably in 19th-century America.
Do your first 150 words paint the picture? Want to find out?
HERE'S HOW IT WORKS:
1. Use the web form to submit your first 150 words. IMPORTANT: Under "TITLE", ONLY LEAVE THE CATEGORY. That means ADULT, NA, YA, or MG. NO TITLE! Under "GENRE", TYPE "SECRET".
2. Got that? TITLE = CATEGORY ONLY. GENRE = "SECRET".
3. All genres are welcomed EXCEPT erotica or erotic romance.
4. Submission will open at 8:00 am EDT time TOMORROW (Tuesday, August 26) and will close at 5:00 pm EDT.
5. THIS WILL BE A LOTTERY. The Bot will choose 40 entries to post on the blog.
6. Winning entries will post on Wednesday, August 27.
THE FEEDBACK PART:
1. The first line of your feedback should be YOUR GENRE GUESS. After you guess, you can leave any additional comments that you think may be helpful. NOTE: These comments should focus on THE WORLDBUILDING/SETTING OF EACH EXCERPT. Full-blown critiques ARE NOT NECESSARY.
2. Feedback/guessing may continue through the weekend. THE TEN ENTRIES WITH THE MOST CORRECT GUESSES will be invited to submit their first 300 words for public critique on the blog (next week).
Questions? Post them below!