Friday, June 5, 2009

Friday Fricassee

What an amazing collection of comments on yesterday's post! Many thanks--and keep them coming. I'm planning on printing them out so I can really study them, see what I can implement.

More than one of you commented that you'd like to read more of my personal ramblings on writing and my own journey. It's odd (if you really knew me) that I've been so conservative in this area. One of my strengths as a writer is the anecdotal essay. (Well now, doesn't that sound lofty? I mean, ugh.) My self-published book is a collection of humorous anecdotes. I used to publish an E-zine for the same target audience (not writers), and my (other, real-me) blog was regularly peppered with "oh my gosh I'm laughing so hard" comments.

In short, I love to make people laugh by writing about my ridiculous self.

(Qualifier: I'm not dissing myself. I simply love to laugh at myself. Because if we don't have the ability to do that, we're not going to make it very far.)

Of course, running an anonymous blog makes it a bit tricky. I can't reveal too many details about my life and my charming and oh-so-blog-fodder-producing husband. I've chosen to be anonymous and I've got to stick to it.

(Someone asked me why I made that choice; that, perhaps, is a story for another day.)

Still, as a writer, there is a lot of "everyman" stuff on which I can expound here. And yes, I really DO want to offer my personal experiences as a laboratory of sorts. I'm all about teaching, encouraging, inspiring.

Oh, and bringing laughter. Absolutely.

So yes, I'm going to commit to more WRITING on this blog. Because I've finally proven to myself that I can finish a novel in a timely manner by sticking to a 1000-word-a-day schedule. And if I can do that, I can write a juicy blog post on a regular basis.

And, too, I feel safe here--strange as that sounds. It's more of the we're-all-in-this-together thing.

I love that so many of you are my "friend" on Facebook. (Want to be my friend? I'm Authoress McNonymous on Facebook.) I love that you subscribe to the blog, follow the blog, comment on the blog, submit to the blog, love the blog.

I love that you don't pester me about who I *really* am. My attitude, my opinions, my passions, my shared experiences--everything you get here is the real me. It just doesn't have a name or a face attached to it.

Only a red hat. And my voice, which is about as real as it gets.

Yep, this is the real me. Without the details.

So thanks again for the comments, suggestions, ideas. I read each one thoughtfully.

And here's a Friday Fricassee question for you:

Assuming you feel as *safe* as I do, what is it, exactly, that makes you feel safe in the care of an anonymous person? And hundreds of aspiring authors who might just critique your work to shreds? And nameless agents who might do the same?

Safety is a big deal. Tell me what affords you a measure of yours.

And have an outstanding weekend!

15 comments:

  1. I guess I feel "safe" here because - like you said - we're all in this together. 99.99% of the comments I see are made in the effort to help the person brave enough to post their work. It's a great opportunity that you've provided!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps the anonymity is the safety. There isn't a huge deal of personal investment, therefore the critique is - somewhat - less painful than from a dear friend.

    Now, I know that sounds worse than it really is, because after following your blog for a while, and Facebook, there's a tad bit less anonymous about you than you might think. Still, I think there is a distance that exists that allows the critiques to be taken (to borrow a phrase) with a 'spoonful of sugar'.

    Am I still nervous as heck when I submit something for critique? Yes. Am I still mortally offend when someone doesn (wink, wink, wink) recognize my brilliance? Yes. Am I better able to handle the critique because the person is, for the most part, anonymous? Yes.

    So, anonymity provides a 'safety' net for all the asipring writers out there . . . at least in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many years ago, my martial arts instructor received a call at the school. I could hear most of the conversation because of the enthusiastic volume of the caller.

    He was japanese and spoke very little english, but kept repeating, "what I want to know is, WHO WILL FIGHT ME."

    My instructor, nice as always, repeated, with much more diplomacy than I would have, that we "don't beat up strangers who come in, and don't let students 'fight'."

    Eventually the man became very frustrated and yelled, "WHAT MAKES YOU SAAAAAAFE!" Then promptly hung up.

    The answer, of course, is nothing. A storm, meteor, or criminal can snuff out my life at any time. And beating up kung fools to prove I'm better won't change that one bit.

    The trick is to prepare to the best of one's ability, do everything reasonable within ones power to be secure, and then hang it all out there and see what happens.

    If success comes, yay. If failure, boo. In the end, we die, rot, and become nothing more than the sum of our faith.

    So, what is there to worry about? If you ask a hundred old curmudgeons what their regrets are, ninety percent of them will be things untried, and less than ten percent their failures. (I've done this)

    So who cares about safe? Live or bust.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually I agree with what all three posters so far have said. It's good to feel safe, because let's face it, artists can be fragile. *picks up her blankie and gives it a snuggle* :-) So the fact that we're all in it together helps, anonymity also plays a part.

    And then when we feel more confident, it's important to take that next step, and go out of your comfort zone a little.

    At least at first though, safety is key. If we feel supported and like we're all in this together, that's where we'll get the confidence to go forward. And places like this provide that kind of atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel safe because it's obvious that all this is meant to help. I'm here to find out what other people think. Obviously, I understand my own work and what I'm trying to do, so I'm on a quest to find ut what other people see...
    And if they don't like it, it just means I have to try harder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm keeping it short and simple cause I gotsa' baby that needs me, but my main reasons for feeling safe is confidence. Not just in myself but in the perspectives of others, etc. etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's much harder to be upset with an anonymous person . . . and much easier to be honest in the critiquing of a person you don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Truthfully I don't feel safe...it is the logic behind what you say, and those who you surround yourself by that leads me to believe your words carry truth.

    In this day and age, that means a lot!

    Have a great weekend!

    An 'Agent:Demystified' critique quoted critic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Basically, I agree with what others (including you) have said. The relative anonymity and the feeling that we're in this together make me feel safe. People post comments to try to help, not to hurt. That's enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you are charming and I love this blog, but the anonymity makes me uncomfortable. I always wonder what someone is hiding, and why. I blogged anonymously in 2006 and came out of the blogging closet when I started publishing - because I wanted to share it with my readers. I in no way reveal all on any of my blogs, but I am me. I think it's honest of you to admit you're not saying who you are - perhaps the mystery allows readers to focus more on themselves -- and that's a good thing.

    For me, it means there must be a wall.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel "safe" here because we're all trying to improve and we all want constructive criticism. Honestly constructive, neither pointlessly positive nor needlessly cruel. And you help us stay in that helpful middle area.

    It doesn't bother me one bit that you prefer being anonymous. I do hope you'll find a way to use your blog popularity to become an agented author, which might be easier if you weren't anonymous, but I'm sure you've thought about that already!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've created a wonderful community here, and it's much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is it safe? Or is it comfort zone?

    Pennyoz

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not someone with a lot of confidence - no "real life" person has read any of my writing yet. I've posted here and on one other "safe" sight because I've found the posters and moderators to be intelligent, thoughtful, helpful and honest.

    My anonymity is important to me because of 2 reasons. 1 = confidence, 2 = I'm hoping to one day publish romance and I teach young children. I assume anyone else wishing to remain anonymous has good reasons.

    Anonymity doesn't bother me in the least. The personality of the person comes through regardless of the identity posted. Thank you for the blog and keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete