We're going to do a full-blown Drop the Needle crit round. Focus? DEATH SCENE. The death can occur on- or offstage (as in, news of the death can be brought by someone). Mainly, it's the EMOTIONAL IMPACT of the death that counts. The sense of loss (or perhaps relief) by those left behind (particularly your MC).
So if you've got a death scene in a completed work or WIP, now's your chance to get some solid critique.
- Submissions will open at 5 PM EDT today.
- Submissions will be open for 5 hours or until 50 entries have been received, whichever comes first.
- Send a 250-word excerpt of your novel, including a small lead-in sentence or two. This excerpt should encompass THE DEATH OF A CHARACTER.
- This excerpt can be from ANYWHERE IN YOUR NOVEL
- All genres except erotica are welcomed (children and adult)
- Email your submission to authoress.submissions(at)gmail.com
- ALL entries will receive an automated response. If you don't get one, check your spam box.
- Format as follows:
TITLE: (type it here)
GENRE: (type it here)
(type your brief lead-in here)
(type your excerpt here)
Please note: I am setting the word count at 280 to accommodate the lead-ins. You'll still have to choose your words carefully, though.
IMPORTANT: If you receive a rejection and you can't figure out why, your best bet is to RE-SEND AS PLAIN TEXT. Cutting-and-pasting from a Word document is often fatal, because Word adds all sorts of invisible junk to the text. You may not see it, but my bot does. And it throws everything off.
So. When in doubt, plain plain plain.
Entries will post early Wednesday , ready for critique.