Monday, June 28, 2010

In Case It's Quiet...

Tomorrow begins a week of in-lawness. That is, they're coming, and I've got to be a good hostess.

All that to say, if posts are sparse this week, that's why. I fully intend to maintain my writing schedule, and I actually trust them to honor it. It's just that I want to strike a careful balance, setting the writing aside as the need arises. There's dedication, and there's obsession. And then there's downright rudeness.

I don't want to be accused of the latter.

Know what's awesome, though? Mr. A is completely supportive. He's already told me he's going to explain things to his parents. As in, "This is when my wife writes." So I really, really can't complain.

Really.

So, yes. I'm going to attempt to be a human being this week. My nose has been buried in Beatrice for so many months, I imagine I could stand the practice. What makes it easier is that I completed my revisions over the weekend (my MG fantasy). This week is all about editing so that I can get it out to my readers in a reasonable amount of time. Which makes for a less stressful week. I can't imagine dealing with the intensity of a 1000-word-per-day first draft while my in-laws were about.

Though that may be on my horizon. I've got the smallest, sizzliest seeds of a story idea. I'm rewarding myself at the end-of-edits with a nice planning-plotting-dreaming session. And hoping something superb comes of it.

No guarantees, of course. But I'm excited nonetheless.

So what does your week look like?

13 comments:

  1. Hmmm, this week I'll be outlining and hopefully starting my new novel halfway through the week. :) Good luck with the in-laws!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just sent my latest project off to beta readers FOR THE FIRST TIME (first time for this project, first time with a beta reader EVER). So I'm really excited about that. This week for me, then, is about catching up on the manuscript I've been beta reading for the past month.

    The balance between dedication and obsession is always a tough one for me. It gets worse right as I'm coming to the end of a draft, and I always fear I stray a little too far into obsession. Thank goodness for a good husband who gently reminds me when I've spent too much time away from him and the kids...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's awesome about your hubby. SWEET.

    My week. I get to scramble, preparing to leave for ENGLAND! I'm so excited. Much to get done.

    Woot!

    Have a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely understand your balancing act... sister in law (and illustrator of my books) is showing up today for the week with 15 year old son in tow. Fortunately both are great houseguests... and both will come to Thursday's launch party for Cape Cod Surprise! But it will complicate the prep time, trying to be a real human AND get ready for the Big Day. Thanks for the reminder that others are out there in the world, trying to be humans too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm lucky. I have very understanding in-laws. My mother-in-law realizes my writing is my career (even though I'm unpublished). My parents see it as a hobby. Gee, wonder which parents I prefer. ;)

    My ever-so-sweet hubby also views my writing as a career choice. No wonder I love him so much.

    Good luck with the edits. I'm working on the characterizations for my newest novel. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with the inlaws AND the writing! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you strike a good balance between writing and in-laws.

    Last winter, I had two weekends of visitors when I was in the middle of writing/obsessed with a rough draft. I tried not to be rude. Really hard. But a few times I had to sneak away and write.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm new to your blow and just love how down to earth you are.

    This week, I'll be writing as much as I can. I started with a 500 words a day goal, and I've been hitting it consistently so I think it's time to ramp it up to 750 words/day.

    Good luck with your revisions!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just finished a total rewrite of my WIP, so the plan is to do nothing this week. Too bad my fingers are already itching to start editing.

    Good luck with your guests and your revisions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah for finishing your revisions! I'm just trying to get settled back in the States. THere is so much to do and I'm amazed how much money we're spending. At least things are cheap here in the US!

    ReplyDelete
  11. New to your blog, and loving it! This is second draft week for me on a couple of different stories. I am a fearless editor.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Same as you, Authoress: editing. I also have a good idea for a new project, but if I'm afraid if I start it before my first one is edited then...well, you know it goes. It's kind of like giving a kid the choice between asparagus or a chocolate cupcake.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck with your week of inlaws!

    ReplyDelete