Friday, July 12, 2013

Friday Fricassee

Thought for today:  Joy is found when we live in the moment.

It's hard not to think/wonder/worry about future.  This is true for life in general, but it applies to writers in a particular way--namely, we're always looking ahead because our goals/dreams don't exist in the now.

We plot our stories.  Planning=dreaming about when we'll finally be finished=looking ahead.

We wait to hear from agents.  Stalking email=obsessing about the future=looking ahead.

We angst over the editors who have our stuff.  Fearing rejection=worrying whether we'll get published=looking ahead.

If we could just stop LOOKING AHEAD, we might be a little happier.  A little more content to take our next breath, our next sip of coffee, our next morning walk.

Writing is slow, publishing is slow.  If we live our lives craning our necks to see what tomorrow and next week and next month and next year will bring, WE WILL MISS TODAY.

I'm learning this lesson one heartbeat at a time.  In writing and in life.  And I'm finding that, even in the midst of things I can't control or don't understand or don't like, I can find joy in the moment.

May you find your joy today.

8 comments:

  1. So true. It's a waiting game to be published whether or not you have an agent or are still looking for one. I take joy in the start of a new story and the sip of coffee too! That's not to say don't look ahead but look to what's in front of you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed this today, thank you. Currently email stalking. But I'm trying to let go and enjoy finishing another story while I wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely! I hope you are finding a lot of,joy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really needed this today. Thank you. I love coming to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful post! An so very true. I'm currently querying my first MS, and I'm gradually learning this very important lesson. Thank you for all that you do for new writers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, Authoress, and so true. I wish people could slow down a bit and enjoy what they have instead of using every free moment to scramble after what they think they want. Life is short. Enjoy it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dad once heard me say, "As soon as [X] happens, then I'll be happy."

    His reply? "Don't ever think like that. Everyone seems to do it - 'When I find my soul mate, then I'll be happy.' 'When I get this job/car/house, then I'll be happy.' But people and things can't magically make you happy - you have to be happy with yourself and your situation first, then those people and things will enhance it."

    I can't tell you how many times that advice has helped me - or helped someone else I've passed it on to :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This came at a crucial moment this morning. Thank you so much for posting it! It's so important to remember to not get caught up in worrying about the future because it robs us of today. But we also can't get too wrapped up in daydreaming either because it keeps us from focusing on the task at hand.

    ReplyDelete