Thursday, May 9, 2013

Another Sweet Success Story

For your reading pleasure, directly from the author:

Dear Authoress,

I may not be one to comment on your blog often, but I've been an active lurker for the past four years (Happy Blog-Birthday, by the way. Has it really been five years?). Over that time, I've entered a few in-house crit sessions and even a Secret Agent contest or two. But, in October 2011, I crossed my fingers, toes, and eyes and sent the pitch and first page of my YA paranormal novel (at that time titled GRIM) to the 2011 Baker's Dozen Agent Auction.

I figured it wouldn't get picked. Heck, I'd been hearing so much about how the market had died for YA paranormal, I figured it would never happen for GRIM. I needed to move one. Still, I sent it out and bit my nails down to nubs waiting to see if you and the lovely Ms. Meadows thought my work had enough potential to be included in the auction. Imagine my surprise when I got my 'You're In' email. Yes. I screamed. Really.

The day of the auction, I was floored when a little bid war took place between two agents for my book. MY book! But the most impactful comment for me was the very last one I received, from the guest editor, Sarah Shumway. She said paranormal needs to be super-special to make it in the current market, but she liked the voice of the piece and she'd be interested in reading more.

That was all I needed. An actual editor wanted to read more. And if one did, there had to be more, right? Despite all the naysayers (and there were more than a few), I decided to give GRIM a chance and sent it out to a few agents. Eventually, I landed the amazing Lindsay Ribar of Sanford J. Greenburger Associates Inc. and she sold my little novel, plus the sequel! The first book in the series, now titled CALL ME GRIM, is set to release in Fall 2014 from Month9Books!

So, thank you, Authoress. You and your blog have touched my life, in more ways than you can imagine.

Sincerely,
Elizabeth Holloway

12 comments:

  1. Ahhh, congratulations Elizabeth, lovely story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful, Elizabeth! Congratulations! I just went back and read your entry, and am not surprised it got snapped up--terrific voice. Best of luck with your book releases!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Congratulations, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Elizabeth. Can't wait to read both books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Elizabeth! Look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cool! Congratulations, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! That's a fantastic story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! It was quite a journey, but totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great story! So happy you found an agent and sold TWO books!

    ReplyDelete