- Submissions are for COMPLETED MANUSCRIPTS ONLY. If you wouldn't want an agent to read the entire thing, DON'T SEND IT. If an "entire thing" doesn't exist, you shouldn't even be reading these rules.
- Manuscripts THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN IN ANY SECRET AGENT CONTEST THIS YEAR will not be accepted. Yes, I'll be checking. Yes, this is a pain. But when you read the genres below, you'll see why I have to open the playing field to those who haven't had a chance yet. Please note: By "this year" I mean 2009. If you had an entry in a 2008 contest, you may submit.
- You may submit A DIFFERENT MANUSCRIPT if you've participated in any of the 2009 Secret Agent contests.
- If you are PAST WINNER, please DO NOT ENTER THIS CONTEST.
- Submissions are for THE FIRST 250 WORDS of your manuscript. Please do not end your submission in the middle of a sentence.
- No attachments. Please send your submission in the body of your email.
(Followed by the excerpt here.)
This month's contest will include the following genres:
- Young adult fiction (all genres)
- Middle grade fiction (all genres)
- Science Fiction/Fantasy
- Paranormal Romance (NO other romance; only paranormal)