Wednesday, February 15, 2012

February Secret Agent #26

TITLE: HOW TO DATE A NERD
GENRE: YA Contemporary Romance


Rules of keeping up your popular rep:

Number one, the shorter the skirt, the better.

Number two, natural hair color is a thing of the past.

Number three, high heels are an extension of your foot. To go without them would be like losing a toe.
Number four, guys are disposable, and should never be used more than once or for an extended period of time.

And number five, never ever reveal you collect Star Wars memorabilia, you know every line to Lord of the Rings, and you actually know the birthdates of all the Harry Potter cast members.

Yeah. I’m a total closeted nerd.

I'm not cool with pity glares in the hallways, painful jabs, and permanent scars. No thanks. It's much easier to keep my true nature hidden beneath layers of eyeliner, skimpy outfits, and even I must admit to myself, a rockin’ body. Though the push up bras tend to do most of the work.

Welcome to high school. Where everyone tries to be someone else.

Well… everyone except Zak.

Zakary Gibbons is my next door neighbor. I blame him for my extreme nerdy behavior. He was the one to introduce me to the awesomeness of the Elvish Language, the hidden mysteries of World of Warcraft, and the magical world that lies beyond Platform 9 ¾. And for some strange reason, when we reached the age of fifteen, he didn’t understand that being accepted into the right cliques in high school was the most important thing.

23 comments:

  1. I really, really love this. It sets the tone for the book and really gives you a great understanding of who Zoe is from word one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. 15 is such an important year. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this concept because Zoe understands that she's got a choice she just doesn't like the bad consequences of either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this opening with all its nerdy references. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually didn't have time to comment on these, but your entry popped up on my blog reader, and I had to comment. This story hooked me immediately--the writing is tight, it has a strong tone of voice, and makes me want to keep reading. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Howdy, neighbor. (I'm right below you. One more reason again why I feel like I'm cyber-stalking you.) Good to see you here.

    I love the voice. This seems like one of those fun contemporary stories I like to read. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a fun entry! You've got a great conundrum going on right away! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this. Just one nit - the sentence starting 'I'm not cool with . . .' - I don't get how permanent scars fits in that list.

    Would definitely read on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute! I also don't get the permanent scars thing, but I would totally read on!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this. Period. Want to read it. Yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the whole package you've set up, but you say more with the two paragraphs immediately following your character's "list" than the list does and it feels more immediate and personal. You can weave the list in as you go, when a 'rule' is more immediate to the action.

    I'd read more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love this! no need to say anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is great. I love the voice. I think I'd want to read it just based on the title alone. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this! Great blending and contrast of her two worlds. Great voice. I love the internal conflict and the friendship and tension surrounding her nerd friend Zakary.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love it! I love the idea of starting with this list of rules. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This one grabbed me! What fun- when can we read the rest?:)

    (Wish they had push-up bras when I was in high school, not that my mother would have let me wear one...)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The problem I have is best contained in the final line. "And for some strange reason, when we reached the age of fifteen, he didn't understand that being accepted into the right cliques in high school was the most important thing." When you start the book by setting up the MC from such a point of weakness then it is a hard slog to go on. I mean, Zak comes off as the kid you want to get to know while the narrator makes you groan and think - oh you're one of those girls? That's the most important thing? I'd have to stop reading.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah Zak, you have stolen my heart too :) Love this opening and this story! Good luck Cassie!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the idea of starting with a list - it has the potential of humor being present right from the get go. I think it would be funnier if you followed it with a real list - like ok this is what I do but this is what I would actually LIKE to do. That might make a good contrast. As it is, I agree with one of the previous comments that her focus and actual belief that this is important makes me think she is not worth the effort of reading on. I'm tired of shallow princesses in YA.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great voice. Love the “Rules”. Very curious what the story will be. I'm hoping Zak brings her around.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Secret Agent: You and I both know Zak will.

    This sort of reminds me of Mean Girls with a twist. It plays on the stuff you see in teen films ALL THE BLOODY TIME. But by-golly do I love these sort of tales! :)

    This will make an excellent show for CW. If ever a literary agent tells you this won't sell in this climate, you simply MUST pitch this to a film agent or straight to the networks! They WILL buy this, I have no doubt in my mind! ^_^

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete