I've got to ask:
Are you saying, "Two thousand ten"? Or "Twenty ten?"
I'm opting for "twenty ten." Nobody said, "One thousand, nine hundred ten" back then. Or "Nineteen hundred seventy-two" when Nixon was elected.
Though, there IS that silly little rhyme:
Columbus sailed the ocean blue
In fourteen hundred ninety-two.
Surely that was for the sake of meter, though.
Anyway, a blessed and prosperous New Year to all! And we're jumping right in with our first Secret Agent Contest of Twenty-Ten, with submissions opening a week from today.
* Submissions will be open for 24 hours or until 50 eligible entries have been received, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST.
* Submissions received before the contest opens will be disqualified.
* Submissions are for COMPLETED MANUSCRIPTS ONLY. If you wouldn't want an agent to read the entire thing, DON'T SEND IT. If an "entire thing" doesn't exist, you shouldn't even be reading these rules.
* Manuscripts THAT HAVE BEEN IN A SECRET AGENT CONTEST DURING THE PAST SIX MONTHS (June-November) will not be accepted.
* You may submit A DIFFERENT MANUSCRIPT if you've participated in any of the 2009 Secret Agent contests.
* Only ONE ENTRY per person per contest. If you send more than one, your subsequent entry(ies) will be deleted.
* If you are PAST WINNER, please DO NOT ENTER THIS CONTEST. (Unless it's a different manuscript.)
* Submissions are for THE FIRST 250 WORDS of your manuscript. Please do not stop in the middle of a
Your submission for this contest should be formatted as follows:
(Followed by the excerpt here.)
* No "chapter one," chapter titles, etc.
* You will receive a confirmation email with your post number. I don't always get through quickly. Don't resend.
* Submissions go to facelesswords(at)gmail.com. They DO NOT GO to my authoressmail address. Those of you who are subscribed to this blog via email will note the latter address as the "from." If you use this address for the contest, I WILL NOT SEE YOUR SUBMISSION.
This month's contest will include the following genres:
Middle Grade fiction, all genres
Young Adult fiction, all genres
***EDITED TO ADD: Submissions will open on Monday, January 11 at 12:00 PM EST.***
(Yes, yes, I know. There's going to be a mad rush. No one will feel the pain as keenly as I!)
Pop your questions into the comment box.