Thursday, September 1, 2016

Name That Genre #1

TITLE: Secret
GENRE: MG Secret

Archie didn’t care much for other kids. He did however like facts about dinosaurs and prime numbers. That morning he had decided that he would buy his mum a birthday present. At eleven years old he could no longer expect anyone else to do it. That had been the plan before he had been locked inside the shopping centre. Now, with all the lights out and the plastic bag holding Mums gift in his shaking hand he wondered if this had been a good idea.

He had been in in The Fields shopping centre thousands of times. But never in the dark and never alone. After leaving the toilets Archie realised straight away that something was wrong. The place was silent. Banging his hands on the locked plate glass doors had done nothing other than start up the tears again. He hated crying. He hated the dark and right now he hated stupid birthdays.

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. more specifically contemporary drama

      Delete
    2. Oops, sorry, I forgot guideline #2. :) I didn't read any triggers for fantasy, etc. A boy is lock in a shopping centre and is upset.

      Delete
  2. I CAN'T TELL

    Could turn to adventure, fantasy or horror at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I CAN'T TELL

    Could turn to adventure, fantasy or horror at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't tell for sure, but I'd guess either contemporary or historical.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Contemporary... However I agree with the others it could be horror, mystery, or fantasy. I know we don't have to crit, but I'm saying this is a bit dry. Please don't hate me. But it doesn't make me like this kid. I'm thinking you should start with the second paragraph and then let us know why he's shopping. My opinion though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't tell,

    Contemporary adventure? Coming of age? Hard to say

    ReplyDelete
  7. Contemporary, due to the focus on the birthday & shopping center. The "something was wrong" part makes me suspect it might turn into fantasy, however.

    ReplyDelete
  8. MG Fantasy - I'm picturing something similar to Night at the Museum meets Toy Story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't tell.

    I was thinking contemporary at first, but I'm assuming he wouldn't go shopping for a birthday present late at night. So why is the mall suddenly dark and empty? I'm wondering if there's an SF/F/H explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sci Fi

    He likes prime numbers. He's locked in the mall. Something weird is bound to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Contemporary. Although he's locked in the mall, it doesn't feel like supernatural/paranormal. At least not yet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Contemporary and I think fantasy because the fact that he suddenly realizes he's Ina department store after its closed makes me think time has skipped. Also British, which is always a fun twist.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantasy or Science Fiction. The first thing we know about him is that he likes numbers and dinosaurs. I'm assuming he'll use that to solve some problems.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Contemporary. Not too sure. Would need to read more to know if it changed to something else.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Contemporary

    Though I wasn't entirely sure about this. The sudden darkness threw me off a bit. It felt otherworldly.

    ReplyDelete