Thursday, September 1, 2016

Name That Genre #2

TITLE: SECRET
GENRE: YA SECRET

Vince is acting weird.

And I’m not talking weird like the time he used my day cream to hide his freckles. No. This time, he went straight down the road to weirdo land and I’m pretty sure there’s no going back.

He made me a bagel.

A bagel.

That he has spread with cream cheese. Cream cheese!

Seriously, who is this freak standing by the fridge and pretending to be my brother? He looks like Vince, he smells like Vince, but he most definitely isn’t Vince.

I scowl at the bagel. Maybe he’s hidden a mop of hair underneath the cream cheese. Maybe that’s not even cream cheese.

Oh my gosh.

I draw back quickly and blink.

The bagel looks fine. It even looks amazing. And I don’t know if I should be worried or completely freaked out about it.

Either way, I’m freaking out.

“What?” Vince says, frowning at me. “You’re not hungry?”

18 comments:

  1. contemporary drama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't read any triggers for fantasy, romance, etc. The brother reads (to me) like he's getting ready ask for something, which lead me to drama.

      Delete
  2. Contemporary

    But, could easily become fantasy. Her reaction seems more literal though, surprised that her brother is being kind, rather than thinking some like alien actually took over his body.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Contemporary because it seems realistic and modern. Good set up of MC's character and her brother's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Contemporary. Modern setting and voice, natural interaction between siblings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Contemporary. Bagel and cream cheese, MC's language and humor. If it's something else (like Invasion of the Body Snatchers), you don't have a strong enough hint on the first page. (Sherry, aka anonymous)

    ReplyDelete
  6. contemporary comedy? Not sure if that's a genre. I hope I get to know if the pov person is a boy or girl soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. contemporary, due to the real-life characters and situation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Contemporary - due to the focus on the sibling relationship

    ReplyDelete
  9. CONTEMPORARY
    Very nice, light intro with great sibling interaction/dynamics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Contemporary.

    It seems like a modern setting with a realistic sibling relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Contemporary

    Everything seems set in the here and now, not seeing any hints of anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Contemporary. Modern language and humor. Great voice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Contemporary. Although for a moment I thought her brother had turned her into a bagel. That would be a very different story!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Contemporary. The humor is fun and indicates this may be a story about sibling relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Contemporary

    No doubt about it because of bagel, cream cheese and focus on characters. Great intro to the sibling relationship! I'm guessing the narrator is a girl because of the language but I could be wrong. Love the brother's line!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Contemporary.

    As much as I'd like to think there could be some body-snatchers in this, I didn't see any indication of actual paranormal activity. Love the voice and characters here!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks you everyone!

    This is my story ROLLING TIDE which is a YA Contemporary

    (For those who asked, the narrator is female)

    ReplyDelete