Thursday, September 1, 2016

Name That Genre: Guidelines

Welcome to our third-ever round of NAME THAT GENRE!

FOR THE CRITTERS

  1. First, GUESS THE GENRE.  Please be sure to write this FIRST in the comment box.
  2. Then, briefly mention why you feel the excerpt is this particular genre.
  3. There is no need to do a full critique on the entries!
  4. Did I mention that you need to WRITE YOUR GENRE GUESS FIRST? This will make it much easier for me to scroll down and count the votes.

EXAMPLE:

SCIENCE FICTION

It's obvious in the 2nd sentence that her husband is a cyborg, since she's reattaching his left leg.  Also she mentions she'll miss the transplanetary shuttle if she doesn't hurry.

Note:  If you can't guess, say so!

I CAN'T TELL

There is nothing in your opening paragraphs that gives me a sense of genre.  At first I thought it was historical, but then you mentioned a skateboard and something about a dragon, so...

FOR THE ENTRANTS

1.  Yes, you may post guesses, too!
2.  IMPORTANT:  Please email me TODAY with your POST NUMBER, TITLE, AND GENRE IN THE SUBJECT LINE.
3.  ALSO IMPORTANT: You must leave a comment ON YOUR OWN POST telling us what the genre is.  DO NOT DO THIS UNTIL THE GUESSING PERIOD HAS ENDED.  You will then have 24 hours to return to the blog and give us your answer.

IF YOU DON'T LET ME KNOW WHAT THE GENRE IS, YOUR ENTRY WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.  I can't count winning guesses if I don't know what you've written!

FOR EVERYONE

The guessing window will close at 11:59 PM EDT ON FRIDAY.  Any guesses received after that time will not be counted toward the total.

Entrants, you will have until NOON EDT ON SUNDAY to post your genre in the comments of your entry.  I will post the winner next Monday.



Have fun!

13 comments:

  1. Which email should entrants submit to? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent it back to the email telling me my lottery number...

      Please tell me if this is not the right place!

      Delete
    2. Sorry, that's incorrect! I should have posted it: facelesswords(at)gmail.com

      Delete
  2. Can't access the genre entries. Not sure if it's me or a system issue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure. They're all posted on the blog. Go to the main blog page and you should see them. www.misssnarksfirstvictim.blogspot.com

      Delete
  3. That was fun! Lots of really intriguing openings. Though I'm pooped out from the captcha game (though good for my brain)--I my have to stop being a chicken and not go anonymous anymore. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate the captcha! But whenever I turn it off, all kind of nasty stuff starts appearing. :(

      Delete
  4. Authoress: I had trouble submitting yesterday and in the end was unsuccessful. The web page never loaded. I tried deleting my cache, took down my firewall (scary), still nothing. I can access the blog, but I'm concerned I won't be competitive for on the block. Any tech suggestions from Mr. A.? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I'm so sorry! :(

      I would suggest using a different browser next time, as others have had success in doing so when they've run into problems. The website-not-loading part sounds like a potential browser problem.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. Without endorsement...any suggestions from fellow MSFV's? I was using Chrome.

      Delete
  5. Chrome is my regular browser, but I switch to Safari if it does something funky (like, sometimes I can't complete check-outs on sales web sites, and when I switch to Safari, it's fine). So if you're on a Mac, try Safari.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I'm here to introduce someone to you all, his name is Dr.Ekpen Temple a spell caster that help me restored my broken relationship, I saw an article on the Internet someone talking about him how he help her in her relationship, today I'm a beneficial of that article, so that is why I'm also talking about how he has helped me so that someone out there that is facing the same challenge can also contact him for help. Here is DR EKPEN TEMPLE contact info: (ekpentemple@gmail.com) or on Whatsapp number 2347050270218.

    ReplyDelete