Thursday, September 1, 2016

Name That Genre #24

TITLE: SECRET
GENRE: YA SECRET

I’m probably the only angel who regularly gets phone calls from Hell. I haven’t even put my pants on yet this fine Monday morning - not that I should expect that to make a difference. Rolling my eyes, I swipe my thumb across the screen, cutting off the Muse piano riff that’s been my ringtone since I don’t know when.

“‘Morning, bro,” I say with an exaggerated yawn.

“You cheeky bastard,” answers my brother. “How’s it hanging?”

My roommate, Luca, perks up briefly as he puts on his own Balthazar Academy uniform shirt. “Hey, Gabe,” he says, before turning back to the mirror inside our closet door.

“Luca says hi,” I say. “All right, what do you wanna sell me today?”

I can almost hear the stupid grin in Gabe’s voice as he answers. “I got another great setup for tonight. You get your ass down to the Bridge by five, and just...let the sparks fly.”

17 comments:

  1. URBAN FANTASY
    The first line makes it a fantasy. The remainder of the voice, "Morning, bro," puts it in a contemporary setting. Love the opening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Urban Fantasy.

    Also, I love this opening. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Urban Fantasy

    Angel with a cell phone/tablet (whatever he swiped off). Nice opening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantasy.

    A boarding school for angels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PARANORMAL
    Hmm, angels and hell and supernatural boarding school just says paranormal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paranormal. I feel like angels and demons in a modern setting fall under Paranormal, but I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Urban Fantasy

    Angels and demons in a modern setting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paranormal fantasy

    Angels just screams paranormal to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantasy. Angels have opposite sex roomates?

    ReplyDelete
  10. fantasy, i think.
    though toward the end I thought it was contemporary, and all the 'angel' talk was said jokingly

    ReplyDelete
  11. Urban Fantasy
    paranormal elements/characters in a contemporary setting

    ReplyDelete
  12. Paranormal

    Because of Angels, Hell, Gabe... Also, do you HAVE TO name him Gabe? It's been overdone (reference to Gabriel)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Urban fantasy. Angels, call from hell, Balthazar. Interesting setup already. I can already tell it will be different. Has a bit of a gang or brothers up to mischief vibe to it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Urban Fantasy.
    Angels, Hell for Fantasy. Cellphone and boarding school for Urban.

    ReplyDelete
  15. URBAN FANTASY

    Angel, but otherwise a contemporary-seeming setting. ? Also, should 'Gabe's' in the last paragraph be 'Luca's' ?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Paranormal Fantasy

    Angels and Demons...this was a tough one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantasy, because of the angel.

    ReplyDelete