Please don't rush to hit your "send" button. Carefully choose which novel opening you'd like to send. Make sure it's polished, ready for constructive critique (not bogged down with grammatical errors and purple prose).
(Disclaimer: "Polished" does not mean "Perfect".)
Here are the guidelines:
- Submit the first 1000 words of your novel to me at facelesswords(at)gmail.com.
- Put the following in the subject line: 1000 Words (this is important, as I need to be able to quickly spot submissions for this category and place them in the proper folder).
- Follow the same format as all our other critiques: SCREEN NAME, TITLE, GENRE
- Make sure your 1000 words is in the body of the email. NO ATTACHMENTS.
- You will receive a POST NUMBER. This is your "place in line." When it's your turn, your excerpt will show up on the blog for public critique.
- If at any time you wish to redact your entry, send me an email to that effect.
- If at any time you wish to UPDATE your entry with an edited version, send me an email with the edited version (put 1000 Words - Post ## in the subject line, with ## being the post number you were given).
- If at any time you wish to enter a Secret Agent contest with the material you have in the queue for the 1000 Words, you must REQUEST REMOVAL of your submission from the queue. After the Secret Agent contest is over, and if you've done some editing on the first 250 words, you may RE-ENTER the 1000 Words pool. Please know that you will receive a new post number and will move back in the queue. (This is all in the spirit of fairness.)
- Submissions will be posted in groups of 5 at unannounced intervals. I will post the first 5 tomorrow (Wednesday).
- You may only have 1 submission in the queue at a time. Once you've had a public critique, you may submit a new manuscript, which will go to the end of the queue.
Go ahead and start sending. And leave your questions in the box!