'Tis a Monday of happy announcements, so here they come:
1. Our next Secret Agent contest launches on Monday, March 16 (that's one week from today). I will post the genres and submission guidelines tomorrow, so keep a lookout.
2. I've mulled over the suggestions concerning some sort of in-house critique session dealing with longer excerpts. Wonder of wonders, I think I've come up with something that just may work! Please understand that this is an "experiment" of sorts, so we'll be tweaking as we go. At any rate, read this over and tell me what you think:
- I will accept submissions of the first 1000 words of your novel.
- These submissions will be accepted on a regular basis; that is, you can email your submission whenever you'd like, and I will save it in an ongoing queue.
- Once you send in your submission, you will be assigned a post number. That's "your" number, and it'll show up in its own due time.
- The 1000-word excerpts will be posted in batches of ten. I'll give you a one-day heads up to let you know it's coming. The next ten, consecutive excerpts sitting in my "1000-word" email file will be posted for public critique.
- Once you have received a public critique, you may then submit a new excerpt, which will be added at the back of the queue. You may not, however, have two separate excerpts in the queue at the same time.
- This will be an ongoing, in-house critique that will occur several times a month. Unlike our other critiques, there will not be a call for submissions with a time and number limit. Submissions will always be open, and I will always have a queue from which to take the next ten excerpts.
And please -- don't send anything right now! I'm asking for feedback today, not submissions. Once the kinks are worked out and the questions answered, I will post specific submission instructions for this critique.
The comment box is now open -- have at it!