Submissions will open tomorrow for a FIRST SENTENCE ROUND. It is exactly what it sounds like: send the first sentence of your novel. A first sentence has the power to draw us toward the second sentence. And the third. And the rest of the book.
It's not a magic bullet; it's not make-or-break. But there is something to be said for a well crafted first sentence.
Here are the guidelines:
- Submissions will open at noon EDT (NYC) tomorrow, and will close at 7 pm EDT.
- Enter HERE.
- Your entry must include your TITLE, GENRE, and the FIRST SENTENCE of your novel.
- This will be a LOTTERY. The bot will choose 50 entries and 2 alternates after the submission window closes. Winners will be notified by email. (Please make sure you have authoress.submissions(at)gmail.com in your address book.)
- All genres except erotica and erotic romance are welcomed.
- Your novel does not have to be finished in order to enter this critique round.
- CRITIQUE will consist of a YES (with a brief reason) or a NO (with a brief reason) as to whether or not the sentence "hooked" you. Easy-peasy.
- If you choose to submit via email (really, the online form is easier), send your submission to authoress.submissions(at)gmail.com in the following format:
SCREEN NAME: Typity-type
And your amazing sentence goes right here.
Oh, and if you think there's a sneaky reason for my choosing to do this right now, YOU ARE RIGHT. The sneaky reason might have something to do with a contest. And it might have something to do with editors. And first sentences. And prizes.
I'll tell you about that another day.
Ask your questions below!