And it's time for another round! This month's Secret Agent contest will be open for submissions on Monday, May 17. Please note: Submissions are NOT OPEN right now. This is an early announcement to give everyone heads up.
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES (please read carefully):
* There will be TWO SEPARATE SUBMISSION WINDOWS. Each window will be open for 2 hours and will receive a maximum of 25 entries plus 1 alternate. This is to accommodate my other-side-of-the-globe readers.
* SUBMISSION WINDOW #1: NOON to 2:00 PM EDT or 25 entries, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST.
SUBMISSION WINDOW #2: 7:00 to 9:00 PM EDT or 25 entries, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST.
*PLEASE NOTE: You are responsible for figuring out your own time zone. "Time Zone differences" are NOT a reason for not getting your entry in. If neither time works for you, please bear in mind that I NEED TO BE AWAKE AND LUCID during submission windows. So ultimately, they need to accommodate, um, me.
* Submissions received before the contest opens will be rejected.
* Submissions are for COMPLETED MANUSCRIPTS ONLY. If you wouldn't want an agent to read the entire thing, DON'T SEND IT. If an "entire thing" doesn't exist, you shouldn't even be reading these rules.
* Manuscripts THAT HAVE BEEN IN A SECRET AGENT CONTEST DURING THE PAST SIX MONTHS (November-April) will not be accepted.
* You may submit A DIFFERENT MANUSCRIPT if you've participated in any previous Secret Agent contests.
* Only ONE ENTRY per person per contest. If you send more than one, your subsequent entry(ies) will be rejected.
* If you are PAST WINNER, please DO NOT ENTER THIS CONTEST. (Unless it's a different manuscript.)
* Submissions are for THE FIRST 250 WORDS of your manuscript. Please do not stop in the middle of a
Your submission for this contest should be formatted as follows:
SCREEN NAME: Your Screen Name Here
TITLE: Your Title Here
GENRE: Your Genre Here
(Followed by the excerpt here.)
* No "chapter one," chapter titles, etc.
* You will receive a confirmation email with your post number. I don't always get through quickly. Don't resend.
* Submissions go to authoress.submissions(at)gmail.com. (And, um, you replace the word (at) with an @ sign. Yeah, sometimes people don't realize that.) They DO NOT GO to my facelesswords address. Or any other address.
This month's contest will include the following genres:
ALL CHILDREN'S LITERATURE: CHAPTER, MG, YA
EDITED TO ADD: NO PICTURE BOOKS! (my apologies for the earlier typo)
[And if you feel your lips twitching in response to the genres, may I gently remind you that whenever an agent says "YES!" to my invitation, or asks me, "May I please be a Secret Agent?" (yes, it happens both ways), I take them as they are, and announce the genres of that particular agent.]