Monday, September 15, 2008

Flex Your Writing Muscles: TROCHAIC QUADRAMETER

We're going to write a group poem. Let's see how far we get! (Come one, come all -- lots of talent here! Don't be shy.)

Quick refresher:

Trochaic = a 2-beat poetic foot with the first syllable accented (DA-dum)
Quadrameter = 4 poetic feet per line

So Trochaic Quadrameter sounds like this:

DA-dum DA-dum DA-dum DA-dum

or DA-dum DA-dum DA-dum DAA

Okay?

I will write the first 2 lines in the comment box.
Each participant must write the next two lines.

So that each stanza will have been written by 2 people.

Rhyme pattern will be ABCB.

Clear as hot cocoa? Let's play!

8 comments:

  1. O, the angst of writing novels
    Why, I wonder, do I dare?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A poem? I cried, astounded,
    Novel in mind, I sneak back to my lair

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just_Me: I know you love me, so I'm going to edit your lines...they're not in trochaic quadrameter:

    So I cry, astounded, "Poem?
    No!" and sneak back to my lair.

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did I say I could write poetry???

    Where, anywhere, does it say I can write poetry?

    I tested out of my lit classes in college and didn't pay attention in high school (sorry Mrs. Willis)!

    Now.... ask me about sci-fi....

    :oP

    <--- just me, the rebellious one

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pages: naked, white and empty
    Hours lost by wandering thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Red lines bleed across the pages
    Cutting my baby in half

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now are tempered by such rules,
    All those 'shoulds and musts and oughts!

    (replaces previous entry which didn't rhyme)

    ReplyDelete