Wednesday, April 21, 2010

50-Word Critique Round

So let's give this new, automated system another whirl, shall we?

At 1:00 PM EASTERN TODAY, submissions will open for the following:

*The first 50 words of your manuscript, completed or in progress*

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES:

  • Send your submission to authoress.submissions(at)gmail.com. YOUR SUBMISSION WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AT ANY OTHER ADDRESS. (Yes, some were sent to the wrong place last week.)
  • Format your submission as follows (EXACTLY):
SCREEN NAME: type it here
TITLE: type it here
GENRE: type it here

Type your 50 words here

REMOVE THE SIG LINE AT THE END OF YOUR EMAIL (if you have one)
  • Most of the hotmail issues have been dealt with. However, if you run into trouble when submitting from a hotmail account, TRY AGAIN FROM A DIFFERENT EMAIL ADDRESS. (Remember: We. Hate. Hotmail.) If hotmail is your sole account, please be sure NOT to send your submission in plain text, as this seems to create the most problems.
  • No picture books this time. 50 words is too high a percentage of the total book length. We'll save PBs for our 25 word rounds.
  • Submissions will remain open until midnight or 50 entries have been reached, whichever comes first.
  • There will be 2 alternates assigned; if you receive an alternate number, please understand that your entry will only be included if one of the 50 is redacted or disqualified.
  • ALL GENRES EXCEPT EROTICA are invited.
If I've forgotten something, please let me know! The entries will post on Thursday morning beginning at 9:00 Eastern.

31 comments:

  1. OMG - I wasn't expecting anything so soon. Let me see if there is anything lying around here.

    You are so much fun, Authoress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may be really silly, but what do you mean by Screen Name? As in, what we call ourselves, or...? I'm sorry, I'm just easily confused.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your screen name is whatever name you use when you post on the blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do we need anything particular in the subject line of the e-mail?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Subject line doesn't matter. All emails sent to this address are funneled directly into the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If we have revised our lines from the 25-word contest, can we submit that (including the full 50 words this time, obviously)?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since I have nothing new to submit and so many people got bumped from the last one, I'll bow out of this one and wish everyone good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chris, I would rather you didn't, since there are so many others who want to play. I should probably institute the same "6 month" rule for in-house crits that I have for the SA contests. In fairness to all.

    Of course you'll want to re-submit it at some point, but not the very next month. Of course it's always okay to submit a completely different ms, though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pure awesomeness. Can we submit more than one?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nope. Subsequent entries will be disqualified. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! I just started something knew yesterday and I'm dying for a little feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm number 1! Chronologically speaking, of course. ;)
    Thanks, Authoress!
    Best of luck to all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All this pressure...IEEE!

    The new rules, the time constraints, and the impending thunderstorm with computer-frying potential; drama, drama, drama.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Huntress, I agree. I never before pictured myself as having one of those little pressure relief valves such as on my mom's old pressure cooker, but I could use one now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Authoress--Looking back through my email log, it appears my submission double posted (SCREEN NAME: Jon Paul). Not sure if it's a problem but wanted to mention it.

    Looking forward to reading all the submissions! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for doing this. Can't wait to read and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm #6, be nice =0.

    Actually, don't be nice. I can take it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Authoress, can you remind me how many we are supposed to critique?

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's strange, M.T. My e-mail confirmation said that I was #1. I wonder if one of us is an alternate.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's nine am in Australia. I went to bed at midnight last night. Not winging so much as just saying that at that rate, for me it just stays in what we in Oz term as the Never Never. That is from Aboriginal dreamtime.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jill, did you not get my email? You sent your submission several hours too early and it went into the test round we were running at the time. Because we were in the middle of a test, you did not get the "too early" notification, but rather received a post number. That wasn't valid, and I sent an email explaining so, and encouraging you to re-submit when the contest opened.

    Please tell me you got my email? :(

    ReplyDelete
  22. No, I didn't get it. Sometimes my e-mail sucks that way. For some reason, I was thinking 1 p.m. Eastern was 10 a.m. here.

    That sucks. Next time, I guess. :(

    ReplyDelete
  23. No worries, I'll still give feedback to everyone! Excited to read everyone's work!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi, Authoress

    If it's ok with you, Jill Wheeler can have my spot on the list. While I would love to have the feedback, I am not currently looking for representation. I can jump in on the next contest you have.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are too sweet, M.T.! And I love your first 50 words!

    ReplyDelete