It's not pretty. I'm scaring the neighbors.
So I want to do a little in-house crit before May's Secret Agent contest ("little" -- hah!). Yes, the critting is what it's all about, but to be honest, I feel the need to have a "dry run" for my new submission policy, which is going to work like this:
I will open the submissions at a set time (no early submissions will qualify). The window will remain open for 24 hours. Each submission will receive a number. The number is your LOTTERY NUMBER. After the 24-hour window has closed, I will RANDOMLY CHOOSE 50 ENTRIES.
And...if you made it into last month's Secret Agent round, PLEASE DO NOT ENTER THIS MONTH'S. No exceptions. So many people got turned away--they need a chance to throw their work out there, too.
I know you agree.
As for next week's crit: We're going to do a DROP THE NEEDLE (hooray!). Here are the guidelines:
- Submissions will open at 9:00 AM EDT on Monday, May 4, and close at 9:00 AM EDT on Tuesday, May 5.
- Each submission will receive a LOTTERY NUMBER via response email.
- After submissions close, I will randomly choose 50 submissions for the crit session.
- If your number is chosen, you will be notified as to which POST NUMBER yours will be.
- IMPORTANT: If you don't hear from me, your number did not make the lottery.
- Content for Monday's call: DROP THE NEEDLE into scene (anywhere in your novel) in which a character is displaying an emotion that is out of proportion; e.g., someone bursts into tears at an inappropriate moment, or someone's anger is way over the top, etc. (Why, you ask? Well, you know there's ALWAYS something behind a disproportionate emotion, right? So it's an excellent way to "show" what's behind a character's behavior/responses...and part of what motivates him.)
- Format is the usual: 250 words, SCREEN NAME, TITLE, GENRE (in that order, please).
- Send your submission to me at facelesswords(at)gmail.com. No attachments.
And starting combing through your novel for just the right scene! The winning submissions will be up on the blog on Wednesday.