For those of you who are newer readers: "Drop the Needle" is an in-house critique session during which I call for excerpts from anywhere in your novel. (That's where the name of the crit round comes from -- those nefarious music professors who, in ages past, would "drop the needle" into the middle of a recording and expect the students to identify the piece of music by name and composer.)
- Send a 25- to 50-word lead-in and a 250-word excerpt that you would describe as an ACTION SCENE. (i.e., a high-stakes, fast-paced scene in which there isn't necessarily a lot of dialogue)
- Use the WEB FORM to submit.
- Submissions will open at 5:00 PM EDT TODAY (May 21), and will remain open until 25 entries are received.
- The 25 excerpts will post on WEDNESDAY at noon, EDT, for critique.
- All genres except erotica are welcome.
- This excerpt can be from either a WIP or a finished manuscript. Either way, please make sure your work is proofread and clean.
And PLEASE don't neglect the lead-in. It's difficult to be dropped into a middle-of-the-story scene, and we will need the (brief!) lead-ins to set up the scenes for us. I believe this extra bit of information leads to better critiques.
Also, please remember that if yours is one of the entries, you are requested to critique a minimum of 5 entries.