Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Humility and Grammar

No, they're not related.  It just sounded like a cool title so I went with it.

1.  Humility

My 3-chapter critique was auctioned off to the highest bidder in the Write Hope Auction for Japan on Sunday. The winning bid? $251. Very, very generous, and a wonderful contribution to the relief effort for Japan.

It humbles me for two reasons. First, because that's a high value to place on a critique from an anonymous somebody. Which has taught me that my capacity for good in this anonymous blogger role is greater than I had imagined.

Second, because there is no way I could give a donation that generous from my own pocket.  So it's amazing that I was able to give in the form of a critique, and the winner's generosity will now reach out and touch those who are suffering.

So, yes.  I'm humbled.  And appreciative.  And excited to do the critique!

2. Grammar

For those of you who may not be aware, I've started a series called THE BASICS on the Write On! teen blog. The first two posts were about dialogue, and today's is on misplaced modifiers.  (Hence the "grammar".)  While I'm gearing the posts for my teen audience, I think "basics" is something all just-starting-out or still-growing-my-wings writers need to brush up on.  So you're warmly invited to read the posts, which will go up each Tuesday.

That's all for now!

8 comments:

  1. $251? That's incredible! All the best with the critique, Authoress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the posts on the basics. I don't think it ever hurts to brush up!

    Also, you're awesome - both for running this brilliant blog and for putting up that critique for auction. Have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. $251 is WONDERFUL, Authoress! I know exactly how you feel; I donated a critique package, and I'm totally anonymous. Plus, I couldn't donate $250 either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am still sad that I lost by $1, but happy for the winner!

    I will definitely be stopping by to take a look at those grammar posts. Never a bad time to refresh those skills that I didn't catch on to in the first place. *Forgive my grammar.

    Thanks again Authoress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's amazing about the $251. It's such a great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  6. But you're not an anonymous somebody, Authoress. Your voice, kindness and generosity comes through very strongly, and in doing so breaths life into the image that is Authoress.
    So yeah, you might not have a 'real' name attached, or a real snap underneath that red hat, but you do inspire others----even when they can't afford the $251, and that makes you anything but anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for those beautiful words of affirmation, Escape. They've got me teary-eyed. :)

    ReplyDelete