Friday, October 24, 2014

Friday Fricassee

So I'm working on about five hours of sleep and I'm not sure how I'm going to stumble my way through my ballet and contemporary classes this morning, but HEY, IT'S FRIDAY!

First of all, MAKE SURE YOU SEE THIS if you tried 3 times to get into a Logline Critique Round and didn't make it.  Thank you so much, L.C. McGehee!

Secondly, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THIS POST BOOKMARKED, because Baker's Dozen submissions start NEXT WEEK.

(Which probably means that I should catch up on sleep before that happens.)

And on an Authoress's-personal-writing-journey note:  You all know I hate drafting, right?  RIGHT?  So it's interesting that I'm not hating it right now.  You may remember that I mentioned that this novel has turned out to have a 3-act plot arc, which sort of happened organically.  (I mean, really?  Who plans this stuff?  Oh, wait.  Some people do.  I should maybe try to catch up with the learning curve here.)  Well, I'm almost a third of the way through my projected word count (80,000), and it doesn't look like I'm going to make it to the end of my first act by then.

Which means I'M ACTUALLY WRITING LOTS OF WORDS.  Many of them will die, of course.  But part of the reason I'm such a slow drafter (other than my high distractibility) is the fact that I tend to craft words painstakingly.  So it's a bit surprising to me that this story is sort of vomiting itself out.  Here's the thing, though--I'm still crafting painstakingly (and being distracted).  But the flow is just...happening.

I'm going to have LOTS of snip-snipping to do.  But you all know that I love revisions, so it'll be hog heaven a few months from now.

Isn't it fascinating how we keep morphing?  I began this journey as a die-hard pantser, and today I'm in the middle of a carefully planned 3-act novel.  WHO KNEW?

Anyway.  Writing is weird.  And I wouldn't want any other life.

Rest up this weekend, because next week THE CRAZY BEGINS!

5 comments:

  1. Your creative energy is contagious, Authoress, and I know, there's no better feeling in the world. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy drafting! A few years ago I transitioned from pantster to plotter. The first drafts are better because of it, but it still feels weird to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I think an easier word flow is a consequence of plotting! That's what happens to me when I plot. (I still pants shorts tho) Anyway, glad to hear it's flying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vomiting!?! Glad you're back in the flow, Authoress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Plotting always helps me write more. But I'm pantsing NaNoWriMo no idea why but there you go.

    ReplyDelete